Promoting just & sustainable societies
IGSD’s mission is to promote just and sustainable societies and to protect the environment by advancing the understanding, development, and implementation of effective, and accountable systems of governance for sustainable development.
Strengthening environmental law
IGSD brings together professionals from around the world who are committed to strengthening environmental law and institutions to promote sustainable development.
- Understanding of governance through research and education
- Effective implementation of policies through capacity building, advice, and advocacy
- Cooperation through networking
- Enhanced public awareness through media including film and television
Connecting professionals from around the world
IGSD has a broad range of projects in a variety of regions. Its members include practitioners and scholars from a variety of developed and developing countries – including lawyers, political scientists, economists, scientists and others – representing a diversity of geographic regions, and a wide range of cultural, legal and political traditions.
Working with leading international organizations
IGSD collaborates with leading national and international and academic organizations including:
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC)
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
- The Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development (OECD)
- Basel Convention on Hazardous Wastes
- University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
- Tshingua University, Beijing